About Out-of-State Coverage

Extraterritorial coverage

Reporting options for Washington employers working out of state

Washington employers working in another state don't need to pay premium to L&I for out-of-state work if not required to do so under a reciprocal agreement and they meet all of the following requirements:

  • Have workers in that state for more than 30 days in a calendar year (January 1 through December 31).
  • Insure the workers out of state and provide L&I with proof of this coverage (issued by the out-of-state insurer).
  • Report all out-of-state work by Washington workers to L&I on out‑of‑state supplemental reports (no premium).
  • Maintain all of the necessary reporting records.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve