Site Alert

Claim & Account Center and Secure Message Center are currently experiencing intermittent slowdowns. We are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Interpreter Services

How to bill for your services

Learn how to bill properly for your services:

Attending a billing workshop will help you save time and money by:

  • Learning to bill L&I correctly.
  • Learn about the Interpreter Service Appointment Record (ISAR).
  • Interpreter resources and tools for doing business with L&I.
  • Meeting your Provider Account Representatives.

You can bill two ways:

Use these codes and policies to bill L&I.

Electronic billing (L&I only)

There are 3 ways to bill electronically:

  1. Direct Entry using a free online form (no need to purchase software or use a clearinghouse).
  2. Upload billing files using your own software.
  3. Submit bills through a Clearinghouse.

When you are authorized, you will go to the Provider Express billing site to bill L&I.
For more information, you can contact:

  • Electronic Billing Unit
    Dept of L&I
    PO Box 44263
    Olympia, WA 98504-4263

Note: Electronic billing is now available for The Crime Victims Program. You must be billing or signed up to bill with State Fund electronically before you can bill Crime Victims electronically. If you have questions, please contact Crime Victims at 1-800-762-3716.

Paper billing (L&I or self-insured)

To bill L&I, use these forms, if the client is:

When you treat an injured worker insured by their employer rather than by the State Fund, submit bills directly to the employer or their claims representative.
To determine if an employer is self-insured

Get a copy of the General Provider Billing Manual.

Do I have to show proof of the time I interpreted for the client(s)?

  • Yes, you must show proof using the Interpretive Services Appointment Record form (ISAR).
  • For dates of service on or after September 1, 2015, use only L&I's new ISAR form; other versions will not be accepted.
  • Your completed, signed ISAR forms must be in the claim file by the time your bill is processed; otherwise, your bill may be denied.

Do I have to show proof of mileage?

Yes, you must send a printout from a software mileage program (and the name of software) to the claim file. Your mileage verification must be in the claim file by the time your bill is processed or your bill may not be paid.

How to submit billing

  • Individual Interpretation Services: You must bill services for the same client, for the same date of service, on one bill or your bill may not be paid.
  • Group Interpretation Services: Time and mileage is divided between all clients participating in group. Send a separate bill for each client with prorated amounts. Send Interpretive Services Appointment Record form and mileage verification to each L&I client’s file.
  • Do not staple Interpretive Services Appointment Record form and mileage verification to bill forms.
  • Fax or send documentation separately from bills for State Fund or Crime Victims Compensation Program claims to:
State Fund - We prefer you fax the documentation.
Fax Number: 360-902-4567 Mail:
Department of Labor and Industries
PO Box 44291
Olympia, WA 98504-4291

Crime Victims Compensation Program
Department of Labor and Industries
PO Box 44520
Olympia, WA 98504-4520
Varies – to determine insurer call
OR see Self-insurer list

Send State Fund Bills to:
Department of Labor and Industries
PO Box 44269
Olympia, WA 98504-4269

Can I be paid to translate a document?

You can only be paid when it is requested by L&I or the self-insurer.

What can I do if part of my bill is denied?

You can request a reconsideration if your bill was partially paid. To request reconsideration of denied charges:

  • For L&I claims, see our Protest L&I Decisions web site.
  • For self-insured claims:
    • Request reconsideration directly to the self-insurer.
    • If you cannot resolve the issue with the self-insurer, you can contact L&I's Self-Insured Section at 360-902-6901.

Adjustment vs. Submitting a New Bill

  • When the whole bill is denied, then you need to submit a new bill.
  • When part of the bill is paid, then you do an adjustment using the "Provider Request for Adjustment" form. Additional information on adjustments is available here.

If the time or mileage needs to be corrected you should adjust the last paid bill.

Use these codes and policies to bill L&I.
If you have questions, please contact Cecilia Maskell,, or call 360-902-5161.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

  © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve