Licencia de contratista de trabajadores agrícolas

How to get licensed as a farm labor contractor

Expand/collapse all

A farm labor contractor is an individual, firm, partnership, association, corporation or government agency that, for a *fee, recruits, solicits, employs, supplies, transports, or hires **agricultural workers.

  • *A“fee” includes anything that is received in exchange for farm labor contractor services.
  • **Agricultural workers are those employed for growing, producing or harvesting farm or nursery products, or in the forestation or reforestation of lands or other related activities.

The farm labor contractor must show the worker their license and provide the worker with pay statements itemizing the hours worked and the rate of pay. The contractor must give the worker a signed form that explains the terms of employment and the worker's rights.

  • A Washington State master business license from the Department of Licensing.
  • A Washington State farm labor contractor license from L&I.
  • Tax compliance certifications.
  • Employment agreement signed by each worker.
  • A surety bond or cash deposit in the following amounts to ensure the payment of wages owed to workers: Required amounts are:
    • $5,000 for 1 – 10 employees.
    • $10,000 for 11 – 50 employees.
    • $15,000 for 51 – 100 employees.
    • $20,000 for 100 or more employees.
  • Vehicle insurance, if providing transportation to workers, at the following coverage levels: $50,000 injury or damage to property; $100,00 for injury or damage, including death, to any one person; and $500,00 for injury or damage, including death, to more than one person.
  • Payroll records which include the basis on which wages are paid, piece rate units earned (if applicable), number of hours worked, total pay period earnings, specific sums withheld, the purpose of each sum withheld and net pay. Farm labor contractors are also required to disclose in a written statement to the workers their rights in English and other languages common to the workers, and the terms and conditions of their pay basis.

Licensed farm labor contractors
Get a list of all licensed Farm Labor Contractors in Washington State. If the farm labor contractor that you are dealing with is not on this list, please contact L&I immediately for verification — the contractor may not be licensed. If you use the services of unlicensed contractors, you could be liable for unpaid workers’ compensation premiums, unpaid wages, damages and civil penalties..

Avoid liability for your Farm Labor Contractor’s unpaid debts
If you hire a farm labor contractor to bring workers to your farm or land, you need to know about your potential liability for unpaid worker’s compensation premiums, unpaid wages, damages and civil penalties.

Farm labor contractor violations in Washington State
Get the list of farm labor contractors who have been cited in Washington State.

See also:

Complaints and penalties
Find out how to file a complaint against a farm labor contractor who is not following the law, and see the penalties for doing business as — or doing business with — an unlicensed farm labor contractor.

For more information:

Acrobat PDF file Farm Labor Contractor Registration Fact Sheet (124 KB PDF)

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington en Español

© Depto. de Labor e Industrias del estado de Washington. El uso de este sitio del Internet está sujeto a las leyes del estado de Washington.

Ayúdenos a hacer mejoras