Apply for an Electrical Contractors' license
Individuals or businesses working as a contractor in the electrical construction trade must have a valid electrical contractor's license.
What you need to do
- Apply online and pay your fee of $306.10
($266.20 + $39.90) by credit card (VISA or MasterCard only). However, L&I will not issue the license until the original required documents listed below have been received. You will need the following:
- Have your UBI number.
- Have your credit card handy. (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.)
- Email address and phone number.
- Names, addresses and SSN (required by federal law) of all principals for the company.
- Be prepared to mail or drop off at your local L&I office the required
documents described above.
Note: Fees are nonrefundable after license has been issued. Refund requests
must be made in writing to the department. Mail to the address listed below.
- Submit the following items together in a packet to L&I.
Department of Labor & Industries
P.O. Box 44460
Olympia, Washington 98504-4460
- You will also need an Industrial
Insurance Account, if you are going to hire employees.
- You must not have any outstanding, unpaid citations with L&I.
What L&I will do
Verify that the following information is on file with L&I:
- All necessary application information.
- Surety bond or assignment of savings account.
- Notarized Change Assignment of Administrator/Master Certificate form.
Note: L&I will verify the company is properly registered with Washington state, Secretary of State's office (corporations, llc or llp structures) and Department of Reveue before a license will be issued.
L&I will notify you of the action taken on your application within 5 days after we receive the information listed above.