How To Renew Your Electrician's Certificate
Renew online here
An electrician's certificate must be renewed every 3 years. 24 hours of continuing education is required for renewal.
What you need to do
- Make sure you have completed 24 hours of continuing
education courses or units (CEUs).
Eight (8) of those hours must be code update and four (4) hours must be RCW/WAC review.
- Your continuing education credits are recorded by your course provider.
- Electricians who renew without the required CEUs will be renewed to an inactive status, which means you cannot work as an electrician.
- Make sure you don't have any outstanding, unpaid citations with L&I.
- Download and complete the application.
- Be prepared to pay the renewal fee, if renewed before your expiration date. See the consequences of late renewal here.
Renew before your card expires
so you don't have to pay a late renewal fee.
If you are renewing after your expiration date and your renewal is not more than 90 days late
- If you pay before your expiration date:
- The online renewal fee is $72.70.
- If paying in person or by mail the renewal fee is $83.50.
- (You are responsible to ensure that the department receives your renewal application materials before your expiration date.)
If your renewal is more than 90 days late
- The online renewal fee is $145.50.
- If paying in person or by mail the renewal fee is $167.20.
, you cannot
renew and must take the exam to reinstate your electrician certificate.
Note: Fees are nonrefundable after certificate has been issued. Refund requests before the certificate has been issued must be made in writing to the department.
Mail to the following address:
Department of Labor & Industries
PO Box 44460
Olympia WA 98504-4460
- Submit your application, fee, and experience one of the following 3 ways:
What L&I will do
- Verify that the following information is on file with the department:
- All necessary application information.
- Sufficient continuing education credits to meet the requirement.
- Within 5 days after we receive the information listed above, L&I will do one of the following:
- Send your certificate.
— OR —
- Notify you of the action taken on your application.