Renew your Electrical Trainee's certificate
Electrical Training certificates must be renewed every 2 years. Currently 32 hours of approved Basic Classroom Instruction is required for renewal. The number of hours required for renewal changed July, 2011 and will change again in July, 2013. (41 KB PDF). Get answers to questions regarding the number of hours required to renew your training certificate and the changes that took effect July 1, 2011.
What you need to renew
- Renew before your card expires so you don't get caught on the job without a current card. If you are found on the job without a current card, you will be subject to a citation. If you don’t renew on or before your expiration date, a late renewal fee will be charged.
- Contact the Electrical program directly before attempting to renew online:
- If your trainee certificate has been expired more than 90 days.
- If you have ever had a trainee certificate before.
- If your certificate has been suspended for any reason.
- Make sure you don't have any outstanding, unpaid citations with L&I.
- Make sure that the basic classroom education credits required for renewal are on record with L&I.
- If you’ve completed courses that are not on your record, contact your course provider. Course providers are required to notify the department of course completion information within 7 days.
- If you do not meet the basic classroom education renewal requirements, you will be classified as inactive and cannot work as an electrical trainee until your course completion information is submitted to the department.
- Be prepared to submit documentation of your work experience, if you have it, when you apply for renewal. If you apply in person or by mail, submit any Affidavits of Experience with your application. Mail them within 30 days if you apply online. Send them to the L&I Electrical Program, P.O. Box 44460, Olympia, Washington 98504-4460.
Note: Any Affidavits of Experience received after 30 days will require an additional processing fee of $51.20
- Be prepared to pay the renewal fee:
- $44.70 if renewing online.
- $51.20 if renewing in person or by mail.
- If you do not renew on or before your expiration date you will be charged a late renewal fee:
Submit your renewal application, fee, and experience documentation one of the following 3 ways:
- $62.50 if renewing online.
- $71.80 if renewing in person or by mail.
Note: Fees are nonrefundable after certificate has been issued. Refund requests must be made in writing to L&I before that time. Mail to L&I Electrical Program, P.O. Box 44460, Olympia, Washington 98504-4460.
What L&I will do