Site Alert

Claim & Account Center and Secure Message Center are currently experiencing intermittent slowdowns. We are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Recreational Vehicles

What alterations require permits?

L&I makes sure that changes (alterations) to recreational vehicles meet safety standards. You must obtain a permit before starting an alteration.

What does L&I consider an "Alteration"?

An "Alteration" is the replacement, addition, modification or removal of any equipment or installation that affects the construction, planning considerations, fire safety, or the plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems.

The following ARE NOT considered alterations:

  • Repairs to equipment with approved parts;
  • Modification of a fuel-burning appliance according to the listing agency's specifications;
  • Adjustment and maintenance of equipment.

Purchase a permit and schedule an inspection

If you want to obtain a permit, schedule an inspection, or have questions about either, please call or visit an L&I office near you.

How much are the fees?

To help estimate your costs, view the fee schedule. Fees can vary, however, depending on what you are doing. Call your local L&I office to request the fees specific to your job.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

  © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve