Site Alert

Claim & Account Center and Secure Message Center are currently experiencing intermittent slowdowns. We are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Codes for converting vendor and medical units

Mobile food concession units and medical units, newly constructed or converted to be used in Washington State are to be constructed in compliance with the following codes, and inspected/approved by L&I.


Be sure to contact your local Health Department for their requirements.

Laws & Rules About Converting Vendor & Medical Units
> 2012 International Building Code (IBC) with Washington State Amendments WAC 51-50 if applicable (Structural per WAC 296-150V) and IBC Chapter 11 as it applies to the exterior of the unit relating to customer service facilities.
> 2012 International Mechanical Code (IMC) with Washington State Amendments WAC 51-52.
> 2012 International Fire Code (IFC) with Washington State Amendments WAC 51-54.
> 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) Appendix A, B, and I with Washington State Amendments WAC 51-56 & WAC 51-57.
> 2014 National Electrical Code (NEC) as adopted by RCW 19.28 and WAC 296-46B.

Where to get these codes

  • Copies of the International Building, Mechanical, and Uniform Plumbing Codes, and the National Electrical Code are available at bookstores and libraries.
  • The Washington State Amendments and Washington State Building Codes are available from:
Washington Association of Building Officials (WABO)
PO Box 7310
Olympia, WA 98507-7310
Phone: 360-628-8669
Toll-free: 1-888-664-9515
Fax: 360-918-8021
online Bookstore at:

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

  © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve