Protesting an L&I Decision

Instructions for protesting an L&I decision.

The injured worker, the employer and the health-care provider all have the right to protest L&I decisions. Instructions are the same for all. You can protest a decision in two ways:

  1. Online at the secure Claim & Account Center — Login or signup.Secure online service
  2. By writing a letter.

Protest instructions:

  1. Find the name and the address of your claim manager on your L&I correspondence.
  2. Write a letter to the claim manager stating that you are protesting a decision.
  3. Include in the letter:
    • The nature or type of L&I decision.
    • The reason why you are protesting.
    • If L&I has closed your claim and you have decided to protest, also include this information from your doctor or health-care provider:
      • An outline of your current medical condition.
      • A description of your treatment program and current prognosis.
  4. Write your name and L&I claim number on all pages of the letter.
  5. Send your letter of protest to:
    Claims Section
    The Department of Labor & Industries
    P.O. Box 44291
    Olympia, WA 98504-2401

If the request is not received within 60 days of the date you received the order you are protesting, the decision becomes final (RCW 51.52.060 (

The actual received date and time of claims-related documents transmitted electronically (faxed) are recorded on documents received during non-business hours so L&I can verify whether a document was received within the legal time limit.

If we receive it in time, L&I will issue another decision that modifies, reverses or reaffirms the original decision. If you disagree with the decision, you may appeal to the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals (BIIA) (

Attention: Are you a provider who has a payment disputes with L&I?

Providers have:

  • 60 days to file a protest with L&I or to file an appeal with the BIIA ( about a payment decision or other type of action communicated to the provider by a Remittance Advice or Department Order and Notice.
  • 20 days to file a protest with L&I or to file an appeal with the BIIA ( about an adjustment to a previous payment that reduces the amount paid or is a demand.
Attention: Are you protesting a decision about vocational benefits or plans?
  • You must write to L&I within 15 days after receiving the written notice of the decision with which you disagree.

    See the Vocational Dispute Resolution page for details about protesting vocational benefits or plans.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve