Out-of-State Employers

Extraterritorial coverage

Washington State Law

RCW 51.12.120 (www.leg.wa.gov) explains that coverage requirements for workers' compensation when out-of-state employers bring workers into the state of Washington will depend on:

  • If the employer's home state has a reciprocal agreement with Washington State.
  • How long their worker(s) will be in Washington.
  • The type of the work they do in Washington and if they need a contractor's license.
  • If any of their workers are Washington workers.

Reciprocal Agreements

WAC 296-17-31009 (www.leg.wa.gov) find copies of the current reciprocal agreements Washington has reached with other states. Washington currently has reciprocal agreements with 8 other states. These agreements are contracts that govern workers compensation requirements between the states:

  • The agreements allow employers from the reciprocal states to bring workers temporarily into Washington without purchasing workers' compensation insurance from L&I.
  • The reciprocal agreements vary and may have exclusions. You should review the agreement or contact L&I if you aren't familiar with its provisions before you bring your workers to Washington.
  • You should request a certificate of workers' compensation coverage from your state be mailed to L&I, before you start working in Washington.

List of states that have reciprocal agreements with Washington

  • Idaho.
  • Montana.
  • Nevada.
  • North Dakota.
  • Oregon.
  • South Dakota.
  • Utah.
  • Wyoming.

Additional information

For more information about workers' compensation requirements for out-of-state workers:

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve