Supplemental Out-of-State Reporting

Extraterritorial coverage

Rules for reporting out-of-state work to L&I without paying premiums.

Supplemental out-of-state no premium reports

To file supplemental out-of-state reports for out-of-state work.

Complete an out-of-state reporting application. If you want to report work in more than 1 state, you will need to complete a separate application for each state. You need to submit a new application every year you want to report out-of-state hours without paying premiums to L&I.

Provide a valid certificate of liability insurance for workers' compensation from an out-of-state insurer with each application. (You are required to report all of the wages reported on your out-of-state supplemental reports to an out-of-state worker's compensation insurer).

Paying premiums to L&I for out-of-state work

You must report out-of-state hours and pay premiums to L&I for your Washington workers if:

  • You don't apply for out-of-state supplemental reporting.
  • Your application for out-of-state reporting is denied.
  • You fail to provide proof of out-of-state workers' compensation insurance.

When a Washington worker is injured out-of-state

The injured worker has a right to file a claim in Washington. They can file the claim with L&I even if you're reporting their hours on a out-of-state report and paying premiums on them to an out-of-state insurer.

You are required to inform the worker of their right to file in Washington State. See the "Injured Out of State" information on our Filing Your Claim page.

For out-of-state reporting:

Application for Out of State Supplemental Reporting (F212‑234‑000).

Employer's Out-of-State Supplemental Quarterly Report for Workers' Compensation (F212‑233‑000).

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve