Amusement Ride Safety & Inspections

Operating permits and inspections

Getting an operating permit or requesting an inspection

  1. Request a safety inspection on your equipment by contacting a state-certified amusement ride safety inspector or a qualified inspector authorized through your insurance company.
  2. Get a certificate of insurance in the amount of no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence, listing the Department of Labor & Industries as the certification holder.
  3. Apply to L&I for an operating permit by filling out the Application for Amusement Ride or Air-Supported Structure Operating Permit. Allow 3 days for a response. Accuracy and completeness speeds up the processing time.
  4. Send the completed inspection forms, the certificate of insurance and the ride decal fee of $10.00 per inflatable/amusement ride to L&I's Electrical program.
  5. You will then be issued a decal which will be valid for 1 year. This decal must be displayed on your equipment, in clear view of the public, within sight of the operator's station.

Renewing an operating permit/decal

  1. When the decal on your equipment is within 30 days or expiring, you must contact your safety inspector for another safety inspection.
  2. Once the inspection is completed, you must send the completed inspection forms, along with the fee of $10.00 per inflatable/amusement ride, to L&I's Electrical program.
  3. You will then be issued a decal to replace the old one. It will be valid for another year. If the inspection is done within 30 days of the old decal's expiration date, you will retain the same annual expiration date.
  4. You must keep valid insurance on file with L&I while you operate your rides.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve