Site Alert

Document image retrieval in Claim and Account Center is experiencing intermittent issues at this time. We are working quickly to resolve the problems. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Tiny Homes

Once plans for your tiny home are approved, you can start work.

Some important notes about licensing requirements:

When you build a tiny home there are several registration, and licensing issues you need to be aware of and consider.

  • You may need to be a registered general contractor depending where you are going to work on a tiny home, and what duties you are performing. Please contact the LNI Contractors Program to find out the requirements for your situation.
  • All plumbing must be installed by a Washington State licensed residential or commercial plumber.
  • All electrical work must be performed by a Washington State licensed electrical contractor and licensed electricians. You will need to get an L&I electrical permit to connect your home to power.

There are exceptions for homeowners doing electrical and plumbing work on their own home.  Please contact the plumbing program and the electrical program to determine the licensing requirements for your situation. 

Note: Local building permits will be required for everything from the tiny home's foundation, installation, and its location on a property. Remember to contact your local building official for more information.


Next, get inspected.

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve