Record Keeping

Payroll record keeping in agricultural businesses

Expand/collapse all

  • Expand/collapse What employment records must the business keep and what rights does the worker have to obtain copies?

    The agricultural business must keep records of the worker's name, address, occupation, dates of employment, hours worked on a daily and weekly basis, rate or rates of pay, total wages earned, deductions, and net pay for each pay period. Businesses must keep these records for three years. Employees may request copies of these records at any reasonable time.

  • Expand/collapse Must an agricultural worker receive a statement of earnings (pay stub) on payday?

    Yes, the business is required to provide a statement for each pay period including the worker's name, number of hours worked or the number of days worked based on an 8-hour day, the rate or rates of pay, the number of piece work units earned if paid on a piece work basis, the gross pay, the pay period, all deductions and the purpose of each deduction. The pay statement must also contain the business name, address, and telephone number.

For more details, see L&I Administrative Policy:
Acrobat PDF file Record Keeping - Agriculture (ES.D.2) (134 KB PDF)

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve