House-to-House Sales

Teen workers in house-to-house sales

Expand/collapse all

The following must all be done each year:

  • Get a Registration Certificate from the department;
  • Get A Minor Work Permit to hire minors - initiated through the Department of Licensing and the employer's Master Business License;
  • Get a signed Parent/School Authorization form from each minor; and
  • Issue a picture identification card to each minor.
  • Expand/collapse What type of supervision is required?

    An employer must provide adult supervision by an individual at least 21 years of age. There must be one supervisor for every five employees; that supervisor must have contact with minor employees at least every 15 minutes. The supervisor must be located within ½ mile of the minor employees.

  • Expand/collapse What are the hours of work for minors in house-to-house sales?

    Minors cannot be employed before 7 a.m. or after 9 p.m. and not during school hours. All other restrictions for the hours of work for minors apply, as well as the meal and rest break requirements.

For more detail, see Washington Administrative Code:
House-to-House Sales (WAC 296-125-024)
Non-agricultural Employment of Minors (WAC 296-125)

End of main content, page footer follows.

Access Washington official state portal

   © Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries. Use of this site is subject to the laws of the state of Washington.

Help us improve