Last updated: June 30, 2021
While masking guidance and requirements are changing, some employers are still required to have their workers wear masks. See L&I Requirements and Guidance for Preventing COVID-19 (F414-164-000) for the latest requirements and guidance.
Industries where masks or respirators are still required for all workers
- Healthcare (including long-term care, doctor’s offices, hospitals) when patients are present
- Public transportation (aircraft, train, buses, road vehicles)
- K-12 Schools, childcare facilities, and day camps in locations where children are present or expected to be present
- Correctional facilities
General guidance on masks and face coverings
- Employers must provide cloth face coverings or something more protective for employees, free of charge, when use of a mask is required.
- Although fully vaccinated employees no longer need to wear a face covering, an employer may still require or encourage mask use.
- Employees have the right to wear a mask or other protective equipment, regardless of their vaccination status, as long as it doesn’t create safety issues.
If you have further questions regarding workplace safety, call 1-800-4 BE SAFE (1-800-423-7233).