If your injury or occupational disease worsens, you and your doctor may apply to reopen your claim (F242-079-000). There must be objective medical evidence that after your claim has closed, the condition caused by the original workplace injury has worsened and needs more medical attention.

If your original doctor is not in our network, encourage them to join, or use our Find a Doctor tool to get a new one.

How long you have to apply after your claim has closed depends on what benefits you seek:

  • For medical treatment only, you may apply at any time.
  • For both wage replacement benefits and medical treatment, apply within 7 years of the date your claim was first closed (10 years for eye injuries).
    • If your claim has been closed for more than 7 years, you may apply for medical benefits. However, only the L&I Director may grant additional disability benefits such as wage replacement or disability awards for these claims.