Please answer Yes or No to the following questions:
- Will you sell food or other items from the truck/trailer at temporary sites?
- Is the truck/trailer licensed as a vehicle?
- Do people work inside?
- Do customers stand on the outside (and not go inside)?
- Does it have at least one of the following:
- Electrical system 120v or greater.
- Water or drain system.
- Propane gas piping system.
- Is the truck/trailer no more than 8.5 feet wide?
If you answered "Yes" to all the questions above, you have a food truck or trailer. Check to see if you must submit plans.
If you answered "No" to any of the questions, you may have another type of unit that may require L&I approval. For example:
- If customers can go inside, you may have a commercial coach or modular building. Please contact the plan review staff at 1-800-705-1411, Option 3, or FAS1@Lni.wa.gov.
- If employees work outside, you may have a push cart or food delivery truck. These are not regulated by Labor & Industries. Contact the state Department of Health and/or local health department.
- See an example of a food truck label.
Note: Be sure to check with all local building departments where you plan to use your unit. Some building departments may not allow the use of food trucks / trailers in their jurisdiction. You may be required to have a commercial coach in that jurisdiction.
1-800-705-1411 Option 3
Washington State Department of Labor & Industries
PO Box 44430
Olympia WA 98504-4430
7273 Linderson Way SW
Tumwater WA 98501