Buprenorphine and Buprenorphine/Naloxone Transmucosal
Buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone sublingual and buccal products require prior authorization. We may cover it for a limited time under the following applicable situation, but not for pain management or other off-label uses.
For opioid wean
- provide documentation of a time-limited opioid taper plan AND
- have a current DATA 2000 waiver to prescribe buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone products. Use the Buprenorphine Locator to verify DATA-waived providers.
- Authorization is limited to 30 days. Upon your request, an additional 30 days is available if you have documented progress on the opioid wean.
For opioid use disorder
- document that your patient has failed steps 1 and 2 taper (see WAC 296-20-03030);
- document that your patient is diagnosed with opioid use disorder by DSM V criteria and this condition is identified as a barrier to recovery; AND,
- submit a time-limited plan documenting how temporary treatment of this condition will allow significantly improved work capacity and/or the ability to progress in vocational retraining.
Payment for treatment of opioid use disorder is limited to six months per claimant.