START employers partner with L&I to improve their workplace safety culture and reduce hazards, illnesses and injuries. Here are some benefits of becoming a START participant.
- Reduce your worker compensation insurance premiums.
- Turnover is costly; increase worker retention.
- Reduce the number of missed workdays to keep your operations consistent and cost effective.
- Protect your workers from workplace health and safety hazards.
- Work with L&I experts to identify and implement safety/health best practices.
- Develop a custom injury and illness prevention program.
- In cooperation with workers, develop a safer and healthier work environment.
- Improve communications throughout all levels of your workplace.
- Spread the safety and health message and habits to the surrounding community.
- Receive recognition for achieving START status and for maintaining an exemplary injury and illness prevention program.
Who can participate?
START is for non-construction employers with fewer than 50 workers at a single work site and fewer than 250 at all Washington worksites. Each START certified worksite must be in operation for at least a year and their injury/illness rate must be below the industry average. L&I manages the program.
How do I participate?
- Fill out a START commitment letter.
- Request a free full-service safety, health, and risk management consultations from your local L&I consultation office. These are provided at no charge to the employer.
- Involve employees in the consultation process.
- Correct all identified hazards.
- Maintain your company’s Days Away, Restricted, or Transferred (DART) rate and Total Recordable Case (TRC) rate below your industry’s national average.
- Agree to notify your local consultation office before changing working conditions or processes that could introduce new hazards.
Small businesses that achieve START status will participate in three certification cycles following initial approval. Certification will be granted upon verification that all START requirements continue to be met. Businesses may graduate from START after four and a half years of participation.
|Papé Machinery, Inc.
|Henningsen Cold Storage||Richland||2014|
|Skyline Steel, LLC||Longview||2016|
|Pape’ Material Handling, Inc.||Fife||2016|
|Pape’ Machinery Construction & Forestry||Mt Vernon||2017|
|RAM Construction General Contractors, Inc.||Bellingham||2017|
|Harris Rebar, Inc.||Auburn||2017|
|Pape’ Machinery, Inc.||Walla Walla||2017|
|Pape’ Material Handling, Inc.||Arlington||2018|
|Work Force Development Center||Everett||2018|
|Interfor – Cedar Prime, Inc.||Sumas||2019|
|SuperFeet Worldwide, Inc.||Ferndale||2019|
|Columbia Basin Rebar, Inc.||Burbank||2019|
|Pape’ Material Handling||Yakima||2019|