Explosives Rulemaking: Safety standards for possession, handling, and use of explosives
The Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) is conducting rulemaking related to Chapter 296-52 WAC, Safety standards for possession, handling and use of explosives.
See all the rulemaking activity for Explosives on our L&I Rulemaking page.
L&I filed a preproposal (CR-101) (41 KB PDF) with the Washington State Code Reviser January 23, 2018, to officially begin the rulemaking process. We are currently working with the Explosives Safety Stakeholder group (ESSG) Stakeholder Group to develop the proposed rule language.
The next Explosives Safety Stakeholder Group (ESSG) meeting will take place Wednesday, January 12, 2022, at 9:00 am.
The purpose of this meeting is to share the updated draft language related to physical condition found in WAC 296-52-23010 and WAC 296-52-23070 and Appendix D with stakeholders.
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2022
Time: 9:00 am; 8:45 am sign-in.
Location: Virtual-via Teams
Topic: Physical Condition requirements: chapter 296-52 WAC, Safety standards for possession, handling, and use of explosives
Previous meetings reports
- January 12, 2022, virtual
- May 15, 2020, virtual
- December 2019, Addendum, Bellingham
- December 4, 2019, Bellingham
- July 23 & 24, 2019, Wenatchee Addendum
- July 24, 2019, Wenatchee
- July 23, 2019, Wenatchee
- April 10, 2019, Vancouver
- Jan. 8, 2019, Spokane
- September 18, 2018, Snoqualmie Pass
- June 28, 2018, Snoqualmie Pass
- April 3, 2018, Kent
- Jan. 18, 2018, Moses Lake
- Oct. 4, 2017, Tumwater
Preproposal (CR-101) filed Jan. 23, 2018
- Washington Safety Standards for Possession, Handling and Use of Explosives WAC 296-52
- Washington State Explosives Act, Chapter 70.74 RCS
- State Fireworks Law, Chapter 70.77 RCS
- Federal Explosives Rules and Regulations (ATF)
- Federal Explosives Laws and Regulations (ATF P 5400.7)
L&I procedures and enforcement guidance
- Explosives Inspection Activities and Procedure (DD 19.25)
- Explosives Magazine Licensing Inspection (DD 19.20)
Other agencies with explosives jurisdiction
Get updates via email
An email list has been set up for L&I to share information about this workgroup and the meetings. Select the "Explosives Rulemaking" topic when you sign up to receive email updates.
Please contact Cathy Coates with any rulemaking questions: Cathy.coates@Lni.wa.gov or 360-902-5432.
Please contact Dan Massey with any technical questions about this rule: Daniel.massey@Lni.wa.gov or 360-902-5569.