Lead Safety & Health Rules
This rulemaking project covers lead rule language found in our General Occupational Health rules (Chapter 296-62 WAC), and Construction rules (Chapter 296-155 WAC). Lead rules rulemaking information
The Preproposal (CR-101) was filed in 2016 and the rulemaking project is ongoing. The most recent stakeholder draft was released in June, 2019, and work continues as we weigh stakeholder feedback.
The Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) Division of Occupational Safety & Health (DOSH) is currently working to improve Washington’s occupational lead standards, which haven’t been significantly updated in over 40 years.
Since existing standards were first adopted in the 1970s, scientific understanding of the health risks associated with lead exposure has evolved considerably. We now know that much lower levels of lead in the body than previously thought have the potential for significant harm. Lead, however, remains an integral material for a variety of industrial applications, making the need for updated standards imperative.
We have coordinated extensively with stakeholders representing a wide variety of interests throughout the state and beyond since officially beginning rulemaking in 2016, and in June 2019 we released an updated draft rule.
A series of public stakeholder meetings will be held over the summer before we make preparations to file an official rule proposal (CR-102) later in the year.
There are no meetings currently scheduled.
Previous Meetings & Summaries
- September 20, 2019 Meeting Summary
- September 13, 2019
- August 2, 2019
- July 24, 2019
- June 28, 2019
- July 27, 2018
- June 22, 2018
- June 8, 2018
- May 9, 2018
- May 4, 2018
- Oct. 20, 2017
- Aug. 31, 2017
- Aug. 9, 2017
- July 18, 2017
- June 29, 2017
- June 10, 2016
- Meeting summary
- Rulemaking Status Presentation
- 2006 Archival DOSH Lead Rulemaking Documents*
- (*)Note: This is NOT a current rulemaking proposal. The documents contained in this folder are from a previous DOSH lead rulemaking effort ending in 2006 that ultimately did not result in the adoption of any rule changes or new rules. We have posted these documents here because the current stakeholder group will review the previous proposal as part of our current rulemaking effort, but we may or may not decide to incorporate elements of the previous proposal into a new rulemaking proposal.
- Feb. 17, 2016
- DRAFT DOSH Lead Rule - June 2019
- DRAFT DOSH Lead Rule - April 2018
- DRAFT Lead Rule Map - May 2018
- DRAFT Significant Changes - May, 2018
- DRAFT Lead Worker Poster
- Discussion Draft - June 2017
Current rule language
For rulemaking questions, please contact:
Arthur.Wagner@Lni.wa.gov or 360-902-4233
For Technical questions, please contact:
John.Stebbins@Lni.wa.gov or 206-515-2870
Get updates via email
An email list has been set up for L&I to share information about this work group and the meetings. Select the "Lead Safety" topic when you sign up to receive email updates.