L&I has funding to make it possible for a worker with an open claim to perform the essential functions of a job and/or participate in an approved retraining plan.
This benefit is for workers who do not have an employer. If there is an employer, see Job Modifications.
The Pre-Job Accommodation Benefit:
- Covers costs for equipment, tools, changes to the worksite.
- May be up to $5,000 per claim.
Workers may receive benefits when:
- Their claim is open and covered by L&I.
- They have restrictions imposed by the industrial condition preventing them from:
- Participating in an approved training plan, and/or
- Performing the essential functions of a job consistent with recommendations of a vocational assessment or nearly completed plan.
Apply for pre-job accommodation benefits
- For claims covered by L&I: Fax the Pre-Job Accommodation Assistance Application (F245-350−000) form to the claim file at 360-902-4567.
- For workers covered by a self-insured employer, contact employer or its representative directly (this benefit is not available through L&I).
If a retraining plan fails, or if Option 2 was selected, promptly return unused equipment to the nearest L&I service location. If unable, contact the claim manager.
Need help finding ideas to modify the job?
- Reach out to the Job Accommodation Network
- Request a pre-job accommodation consultation by contacting the assigned claim manager.
Find a consultant or vendor
To locate a consultant or vendor, use our Vendor Services Lookup Tool.
Forms and Publications
- Statement for Retraining and Job Modification Services (F245‑030‑000)
- Pre-Job Accommodation Assistance Application (F245-350−000)
- Job Accommodation Network
- Department of Social and Health Services, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
- Preferred Worker Program